Building & Development

Read more

Contact Us

Read more

Council Minutes & Agendas

Read more

Library Online Catalogue

Read more

Make a Payment

Read more

Parks & Sporting Facilities

Read more

Permits & Applications

Read more

Waste and Recycling

Read more

Development and Planning

Welcome to the City of Port Lincoln Development, Planning and Building services. This section contains information about requirements for preparing and submitting Development Applications, to notify Council of your intent to build or develop.  You will also find information about requirements for conducting other activity, such as advertising /signage, home based business or change of land use amongst others. 

The City of Port Lincoln’s Development, Planning and Building Services unit manages applications for development while working closely with the community, local industry planners and developers.


Generally, Planning Consent + Building Consent = Development Approval

Planning Consent is the first step in the Development Application Process. Planning is the concept - what do you want to do? Where will your house, addition or garage etc be located on your block of land? What will it look like? Where in relation to all of the other buildings, structures and trees on your land and on your neighbours'? Will there be overshadowing or overlooking issues? How much private open area will you have?

Building Rules Consent is the second step in the Development Application Process. This is where we consider the physical construction details - the specifications (what materials you're using), the footing details and/or engineer's report (how you'll make your building stand up), working drawings (how your building will be constructed) etc.


Undertaking development may require a Development Application depending in the type, scale and location of the development. If development requires Development Approval, it is illegal to undertake the development without first obtaining Development Approval. If you do not obtain Development Approval when it is needed you may face prosecution or be fined.

Some examples of development are:     

· building or extending a house · demolition
· temporary accommodation eg caravans · fence over 2.1m high, masonry fence over 1m and retaining walls
· shed or garage · signs
· verandah · swimming pools
· carport · significant tree pruning or removal
· dependent accommodation/granny flat · change of use of land
· the division of an allotment · the construction or alteration of a road

If you are unsure whether the activity you wish to undertake is development, see below for further information or you should check with your local Council.



The Development Act can be viewed via the Development Act link at


Click on the links below to access information and checklists specific to your development.


Change in land use


Dependent Relative Accommodation 'Granny Flat'

Fences and Retaining Walls

Home Based Businesses

New Homes and Extensions

Pergolas, Shade Sails and Verandahs

Residential Land Division

Outbuilding, Sheds, Garages and Carports

Solar Panels

Swimming Pools and Spas

Didn’t find what you were looking for? See below frequently asked questions or contact Council.

Frequently asked Questions

Glossary - Key terms used in the planning process

High bushfire risk protection areas


Fences and the Law

Trees and the Law

Trees and Powerlines

Managing trees around powerlines infographic


To submit a Development Application please print a copy of the relevant forms listed below, complete all the relevant information and deliver to the City of Port Lincoln by mail or in person.

Development Application Form

Electricity Act Declaration Form

Development Act Schedule of Fees

Driveway Crossover Appplication (new or additional)


Extension of Time Form & Related Information 

Statement of Compliance 83AB Form

Notification during Building Work

Supervisor’s Checklist

ESP Form 3


Development that involves construction, or buildings and structures may require an assessment against the building rules as part of a development approval. The Council building surveyor can undertake an assessment and issue the building rules consent.  A building surveyor is a professional trained in understanding the building control process.

He or she is authorised to assess building plans with a view to ensuring they comply with the Development Act 1993, the Development Regulations 2008, the National Construction Code and relevant Australian Standards.

Building surveyors are responsible for ensuring buildings are safe, accessible and energy efficient and therefore have an impact on the design, planning and functionality of buildings.

Building surveyors conduct mandatory inspections of buildings and building work and issue certificates of occupancy when a building is deemed ‘suitable for occupation’ where required by legislation.

A building surveyor may serve direction to fix non-compliant building work and/or serve notices and orders under the Development Act 1993 and Development Regulations 2008.

The National Construction Code has become freely available online from 1 February 2015. Details on the process to register for free online access are available at the Australian Building Codes Board website at


How do you know if your home contains asbestos? What if my house is built before 1987? If you are not sure of the answers to these questions then check out this video – Asbestos in your home: The Ultimate Renovators Guide.

Asbestos Awareness Australia have also produced an Asbestos Product Database for you to help identify materials that may contain asbestos.

Visit to learn what you need to know. 


It is important that when you are repainting or renovating your home that you are aware of areas of your house that may have been painted with lead-paint based paint.  

It is best to assume all houses built before the mid 1970's have been painted with lead-based paints.  

Visit to find out more about lead paint and your health, lead aware practices, how to reduce your exposure and other important information before picking up that paint brush.

Lead Paint Aware Infographic 20181022


The City of Port Lincoln is required to have a Development Plan to guide development in accordance with the Development Act and Regulations.  The Development Plan seeks to promote the provisions of the planning strategy for the state.  The Development Plan has three parts, Introduction, General Section and a Zone section.  The introduction sets out an overview of the planning system: what is development?  What the Development Plan can and cannot do, when to use the Development Plan and how.  The general section of the Development Plan sets out the objectives and principles of development control, and the final section sets out the policies of particular zones.

Port Lincoln Council Development Plan
Click on the above link to view Council's Development Plan.


Council Assessment Panel (formerly Development Assessment Panel (DAP))

To view the Council Assessment Panel Agendas and Minutes please click here.

City of Port Lincoln
City of Port Lincoln ABN: 80 776 127 243
PO Box 1787, PORT LINCOLN SA 5606
Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln
Telephone: 08 8621 2300 | Fax: 08 8621 2399 | Email:
City of Port Lincoln ABN: 80 776 127 243
PO Box 1787, PORT LINCOLN SA 5606
Level One, Civic Centre,
60 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln
Telephone: 08 8621 2300 | Fax: 08 8621 2399
City of Port Lincoln   Facebook