Member for Grey to officially open the refurbished Leisure Centre on 10 September 2020
The City of Port Lincoln invites the community to celebrate the completion of the major redevelopment of the Port Lincoln Leisure Centre at the official opening event at the Leisure Centre being held on Thursday 10 September 2020 at 1.30pm.
Join Mr Rowan Ramsey MP, Member for Grey and Mayor Brad Flaherty who will officially open the upgraded facility. The redevelopment works started with the refurbishment of the Indoor Aquatic Facility in July 2016 followed by the Stadium expansion works in September 2018.
In February 2017 Council received $4,400,000 in matched grant funding from the Australian Government through the Community Development Grants Programme to construct the stadium expansion and include some additional aquatic elements.
The Office of Recreation and Sport provided $190,000 in matched funding through its Community Recreation and Sport Facilities Program 2018/2019 that allowed the inclusion of tiered seating, solar power generation and additional fire services in the stadium expansion.
Council also received a generous contribution of $250,000 from the Community Bank Port Lincoln at the commencement of the project to assist in securing the indoor aquatic facility for the community.
Mayor Brad Flaherty said, “It has been a long tough road, but we have now arrived at the end with a fantastic refurbished Leisure Centre facility for the local community and region to enjoy. A huge thank you must go to the Community Bank Port Lincoln for their contribution to the Leisure Centre and to the Commonwealth Government and Office of Recreation and Sport for their funding contributions to allow this project to come to fruition”.
The refurbished swimming facility is being well used for swim training by the West Coast Swimming Club, DEDC and Swim School classes, hydrotherapy and recreational swimming. The basketball stadium is home to the Port Lincoln Sharks Basketball Association with competitions running for 76 junior teams and 21 senior teams. Their growing membership necessitated the construction of the new sports court to meet the needs of the sport now and into the future.
The re-invigorated Port Lincoln Squash Club has embraced the availability of the new squash courts holding regular matches, without the need to travel to Arno Bay.
Mayor Brad Flaherty said, “If you haven’t already been inside the Leisure Centre, please join me on Thursday 10 September 2020 at 1.30pm to check out the newly refurbished facility and see how you and/or members of your family might benefit from the facility”.
The Indoor Aquatic Facility Phase components included:
- refurbishment of existing swimming pool, slide, sauna and change rooms;
- construction of a wet play area for toddlers including adjustable water spouts and provision of motorised pool covers to lap pool;
- replacement of existing uneven slate pool concourse with tiling;
- construction of a new entry and offices;
- construction of a new reception and kiosk;
- fit-out of the Meeting/Party Room;
- resurfacing of existing indoor sports Courts; and
- refurbishment of stadium upper level area for Gymnasium and clubrooms.
The Stadium Expansion Phase components included:
- construction of a new basketball/indoor exhibition sports court with spectator seating;
- construction of three new squash courts with spectator seating and moveable intermediate walls to make the space multi-purpose;
- installation of new lift service to upper level of stadium and entry;
- construction of an outdoor play court;
- refurbishment of existing stadium facilities including change rooms;
- construction of external works including landscaping and improved parking facilities and vehicle access; and
- installation of a solar photovoltaic power generation system.
All media enquiries to be directed to the undersigned on 8621 2325 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acting Chief Executive Officer
Release Date: 28 August 2020