Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

To keep updated about Coronavirus visit the Australian Government Department of Health website for the latest medical advice and official reports.

The Council Administration Office doors are open to the public with amended opening hours from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.  We encourage you to contact us via email or by phone.

For the latest updates on Council Services in response to COVID-19 click here.

Dismiss alert

Change of Land Use

A change in the use of land use relates to any change made to the way a parcel of land or a building is used. A ‘change in use’ constitutes ‘development’ and requires approval under the Development Act 1993.

For example, a change in the use of a building from a dwelling to an office would require planning approval.

You are advised to check with Council’s planning staff before you begin your business or proposed land use to ensure that the business complies with the zone provisions and to ascertain whether it constitutes a change in use.

Usually an application is required if:

  • The premises has been previously approved for a use which is different to the use of land or building proposed.
  • The period intervening between the discontinuance and revival of the use of land or building after a period of non-use or exceeds two years.
  • You wish to increase the size of the existing building, make internal alterations, or alter the size, number or locations of signs previously approved by Council.
  • The proposal requires an increase in the number of customer and staff car parking spaces.

For details on the information required to lodge an application for change of land use, refer to checklist included on the information sheet for Change of Land Use.

Building Rules Consent may be required if the change of land use effects the classification of the building.

The Building Code of Australia classifies all buildings into 10 classes. For example, a dwelling is known as a Class 1 building and an office is a Class 5 building. If the proposed use of the building changes the class, there are different requirements under the Building Code and therefore an application is required.

The above information is advisory and only a guide to give you a general understanding of the key issues associated with Change of Land Use.

Please contact Council’s Development Services department on 8621 2300 for further information.

Related information

Information Guide 19 and Checklist

Development Application Form

Electricity Act Declaration Form

Development Act Schedule of Fees