Dependent Relative Accommodation "Granny Flat"
Dependent Relative Accommodation is defined as a building comprising a residence which is not self-contained and provides accommodation for one or two dependent relatives.
Dependent accommodation should be developed on the same allotment as the existing dwelling only where:
- The site is of adequate size and configuration and the minimum total site is 600 square metres
- The accommodation has a small floor area relative to the associated main dwelling with a floor area or exceeding 60 square metres
- Adequate outdoor space
- Adequate on-site car parking is provided by one additional car parking space being provided on the site
- The building is designed to, and comprises colours and materials that will, complement the original dwelling
- The second residence continues the architectural style and general appearance of the original dwelling and is visually linked by a pergola or other unifying element.
The above information is advisory and a guide only to give you a general understanding of the key points associated with the approval system. It is recommended that you seek professional advice or contact Council's Development Services department regarding any specific enquiries or further assistance concerning the use and development of land. Being properly prepared can save you time and money in the long run.