Building Fire Safety Committee
The Building Fire Safety Committee comprises the membership of four people and shall meet at least twice per year on such dates and times as the Committee determines at the Council Office, Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln or at such other places as the Committee may from time to time determine.
Members of the public are unable to attend the meetings of the Committee due to the sensitive nature of matters.
The Committee’s responsibilities and functions are to:
- Scrutinise the fire safety of buildings that have been identified as having inadequate fire safety provisions;
- Issuing Notices of Fire Safety Defects to building owners;
- Forward advice on Section 71 fire safety notices to the Council administration for inclusion in Section 7 enquiries;
- Negotiate cost effective performance solutions with a building owner to reduce fire safety risk to an acceptable level;
- Issue a Notice of Building Work Required, which details prescribed work that must be carried out in order to bring the building up to an acceptable level of fire safety;
- Initiate enforcement proceedings or other action to ensure a building owner complies with a Notice of Building Work Required;
- Revoke or vary fire safety notices when appropriate;
- Undertake other actions which the Committee elects to do as prescribed under Section 71 of the Act.
Due to the sensitive nature of matters, a copy of the agenda and minutes of meetings will not be published on Council’s website.
If you have any questions regarding the Building Fire Safety Committee, please contact the Council Office on 8621 2300.