Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

To keep informed of the current COVID-19 restrictions go to the trusted COVID-19 information for South Australians at and for the latest health alert news at

For the latest updates on Council Services in response to COVID-19 click here.

Dismiss alert

Development, Planning and Building

Welcome to the City of Port Lincoln Development, Planning and Building services. This section contains information about the requirements for preparing and submitting Development Applications and notifying Council of your intent to build or develop.

At present, development applications are assessed against the policies in the Port Lincoln Council Development Plan that are relevant to the location and type of development proposal, together with consideration of the provisions set out in the Development Act 1993, Development Regulations 2008, The National Construction Code and relevant Australian Building Standards.

A New Planning System

In April 2016, Parliament passed the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 ("the PDI Act") to replace the Development Act 1993.  The PDI Act provides the basis for a major overhaul of the planning and development system in South Australia. It will affect how development policy is formed, and how development applications are assessed.

The State Government's rollout of the PDI Act is underway, and will be completed by July 2020. A key component of the PDI Act is the Planning and Design Code. The Code is aimed at consolidating the provisions of South Australia’s 72 Development Plans into one statewide ‘rule book’ for all development. The Code will therefore replace the Development Plan for the City of Port Lincoln.

More information and updates in relation to the new planning system can be accessed through the SA Planning Portal

Undertaking development may require a Development Application depending on the type, scale and location of the development. If development requires Development Approval, it is illegal to undertake the development without first obtaining Development Approval. If you do not obtain Development Approval when it is needed you may face prosecution or be fined.

Some examples of development are:

· building or extending a house · demolition
· temporary accommodation eg caravans · fence over 2.1m high, masonry fence over 1m and retaining walls
· shed or garage · signs
· verandah · swimming pools
· carport · significant tree pruning or removal
· dependent accommodation/granny flat · change of use of land
· the division of an allotment · the construction or alteration of a road

If you are unsure whether the activity you wish to undertake is development, see below for further information or contact the Council Administration Office.

The type of development will dictate the information you are required to submit to Council to support your development application.  Refer to the relevant development area below to assist you in lodging your application.


Change of Land Use


Dependent Relative Accommodation 'Granny Flat'

Fences and Retaining Walls

Home Based Businesses

New Homes and Extensions

Pergolas, Shade Sails and Verandahs

Residential Land Division

Outbuilding, Sheds, Garages and Carports

Solar Panels

Swimming Pools and Spas

There are types of residential development which don't require development approval.  To find out if you don't need development approval you can check out the Guide to Exempt Developments at the SA Planning Portal website or refer to our 'What are you planning/building? section above.

Generally, Planning Consent + Building Consent = Development Approval

Planning Consent is the first step in the Development Application process. Planning is the concept - what do you want to do? Where will your house, addition or garage etc be located on your block of land? What will it look like? Will there be overshadowing or overlooking issues? How much private open area will you have?

Building Rules Consent is the second step in the Development Application process. This is where Council considers the physical construction details - the specifications (what materials you are using), the footing details and/or engineer's report, working drawings etc.

The requirements for land/community division plans are specific, therefore applications for land divisions are prepared and submitted by licensed surveyors on behalf of the applicant.

Applications for land division are not lodged with the Council. The application is lodged with the State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP). The SCAP will forward copies of the development application to various state agencies including Council, who determine what requirements they may have in respect to the proposed development.

State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP)

T: 1800 752 664 (select option 3)



Postal: GPO Box 1815, Adelaide SA 5001

In Person: Level 5, 50 Flinders Street, Adelaide SA 5000

Once all conditions and requirements are met, the state agencies and the Council give a Section 51 Clearance, the SCAP will issue a Certificate of Approval.

Land and Community divisions includes:

  • The division, subdivision or re-subdivision of land by Torrens Title, Community Title or Strata Title;
  • Alteration of the boundaries of land; and
  • Leasing of a portion of an allotment that is vacant land or that contains a dwelling, and where the term of the lease is greater than 6 years including any right of renewal.

The City of Port Lincoln is required to have a Development Plan to guide development in accordance with the Development Act and Regulations.  The Development Plan seeks to promote the provisions of the planning strategy for the state.  The Development Plan has three parts, Introduction, General Section and a Zone section.  The introduction sets out an overview of the planning system: what is development?  What the Development Plan can and cannot do, when to use the Development Plan and how.  The general section of the Development Plan sets out the objectives and principles of development control, and the final section sets out the policies of particular zones.

How do you know if your home contains asbestos? What if my house is built before 1987? If you are not sure of the answers to these questions then check out this video – Asbestos in your home: The Ultimate Renovators Guide.

Asbestos Awareness Australia have also produced an Asbestos Product Database for you to help identify materials that may contain asbestos.

Visit to learn what you need to know.

It is important that when you are repainting or renovating your home that you are aware of areas of your house that may have been painted with lead-paint based paint.

It is best to assume all houses built before the mid 1970's have been painted with lead-based paints.

Visit to find out more about lead paint and your health, lead aware practices, how to reduce your exposure and other important information before picking up that paint brush.

Lead Paint Aware Infographic 20181022

Development and other associated forms

Related information

Council Assessment Panel Agendas and Minutes

Fences and the Law

Glossary - Key terms used in the planning process

High Bushfire risk protection areas

Managing trees around powerlines infographic

Trees and Powerlines

Trees and the Law

Need more information

If you have any questions regarding your development please contact:

City of Port Lincoln
Development Services Department
9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
Phone: 8621 2300