Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

If you are concerned about Coronavirus visit the Australian Government Department of Health website for the latest medical advice and official reports by clicking here

The Council Administration Office doors have closed to the public.  We encourage you to contact us via email or by phone.

For the latest updates on Council Services in response to COVID-19 click here.

Dismiss alert

Rates and Property

Council is more than just roads and rubbish collection.   Council is responsible for delivering services and facilities that contribute to building strong and vibrant communities - everything from school immunisation programs, animal management, footy ovals, cemeteries, libraries, swimming pools, footpaths, playgrounds, economic development and so much more.

Most of these services and facilities are funded through rates collected from landowners within our Council area.

In setting rates, council is governed by the Local Government Act 1999. Each year Council prepares an Annual Business Plan which outlines the programs and outcomes to be achieved for the year and includes income sources, infrastructure needs and service needs, and an annual budget to ensure there is a balance between expenditure, revenue and service standards.

Once a council sets its rates for the year, it sends out a rate notice to all ratepayers.

To learn more about what your rates do for you and your community the Local Government Association of SA has a range of factsheets available on their website at

Rates payments are due to be made in full by the first quarter date or in quarterly instalments due:

1st Quarter - 13 September 2019

2nd Quarter - 6 December 2019

3rd Quarter - 6 March 2020

4th Quarter - 5 June 2020

Council will send out a notice of rates to ratepayers thirty days prior to each due date by post to the address shown in the assessment record, or to an electronic address nominated by the principal ratepayer.

If you would like to receive your rate notice electronically via email, you can provide your email address on the back of the latest rate notice and return to Council either by:


By post:

City of Port Lincoln
PO Box 1787

In person:

Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace,

or email Council at requesting that you would like to receive your rate notice electronically.

Yes, Council offers all ratepayers a 2% discount for early payment of rates if payment is made in full on or before the date of when the first quarter rates are due.

Please note the discount is not applicable to the Natural Resources Management Levy, Waste or Recycling Service Charges.

Council provides the following services for the payment of your rates:

  • BPAY  - The City of Port Lincoln Biller code is 9639 and reference number can be found on your rate notice.  Contact your bank or financial institution to make payment from your cheque, savings, debit, credit card or transaction account
  • By Post - provide remittance advice with cheque and post to City of Port Lincoln, PO Box 1787, Port Lincoln SA 5606
  • In person - come into the Council Administration Office at Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln (cheque, cash, EFTPOS accepted)

If your name or address has changed following marriage, deed poll or there has been a change in land ownership you will need to contact Land Services SA to arrange to have your details updated on your Certificate of Title.

Land Services SA


Phone: 8423 5000 (country callers 1800 648 176)


Once you have notified Land Services SA they will then let us know of the updated details.

Council is unable to update these details on your rate notice.

If you’re mailing address has recently changed and is different to the address shown on your Rate Notice you will need to notify Council of the new address as soon as possible.

Notification can be made by completing and returning the Change of Details Form 7-69-T4 application form to Council by:


Post to:

City of Port Lincoln
PO Box 1787

In person:

Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace,

Council will also accept an email or letter from the Managing Agent signed by the property owner on behalf of the property owner to change the postal address.

Changes cannot be made over the telephone.

If you are behind in payment of your rates you can enter into a payment plan with Council to gradually pay off your outstanding rates debt.  To enter into a payment plan complete and return the Rates Arrears Payment Plan Agreement 7-69-T2 to Council.


Post to:

City of Port Lincoln
PO Box 1787

In person:

Level One, Civic Centre,
60 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln SA 5606

You can agree to pay off the outstanding debt with regular weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments until the debt is cleared.

On entering into an agreement with Council monthly fines and interest will continue to apply to any outstanding amounts until paid.

Failure to abide by the agreement may result in legal action and all costs associated with any legal action will become part of your rates liability and shall be your responsibility.

If the current rates fall in arrears the Council reserves the right to demand immediate payment of the outstanding amount in full.

Council has the right to impose a 2% penalty on any late payment of rates pursuant to Section 181(8) of the Local Government Act 1999.  A payment that continues to be outstanding is then charged at the prescribed interest rate, set each year according to a formula in the Act, for each month payment continues to be late.

The 2% penalty allows Council to recover administrative costs of following up unpaid rates and to cover any interest cost the Council may occur because it has not received the rates on time.

Council will send out a Notice of Overdue Rates after the instalment is due and remains unpaid, showing the amount outstanding including any fines and interest levied.

Rates, which continue to be overdue, will be referred to a collection agency for collection.  The debt collection agency will charge collection fees which are recoverable from the ratepayer.

When Council receives a payment in respect of overdue rates the Council applies the money as follows:

(a) firstly - in payment of any costs awarded to, or recoverable by, the council in any court proceedings undertaken by the council for the recovery of the rates;

(b) secondly - in satisfaction of any liability for interest;

(c) thirdly - in payment of any fine;

(d) fourthly - in satisfaction of liabilities for rates in the order in which those liabilities arose.

If a ratepayer is suffering financial hardship in paying rates, they may apply under Section 182 and 182A of the Local Government Act 1999 to postpone payment in whole or in part for such period as the council thinks fit, or remit the rates in whole or in part.

A ratepayer suffering hardship in payment of rates, is invited to contact Council's Senior Rates Officer at the Council Office on 8621 2300 to discuss the matter.  All enquiries are treated confidentially.

In assessing each confidential application Council will give consideration to the following:

  • Previous documented Council decisions
  • The ratepayer's ability to pay
  • The financial circumstances of the applicant where extreme hardship can be demonstrated.

Should a postponement be granted by Council, interest shall accrue on the amount of rates affected by the postponement, at a rate fixed by Council but not exceeding the cash advance debenture rate.

Section 184 of the Local Government Act 1999 allows Council to sell land where the ratepayer has been in arrears of their rates for three years or more.

Council will send a notice to the principal ratepayer at the address appearing in the assessment record:

  • stating the period for which the rates have been in arrears; and
  • stating the amount of the total liability for rates presently outstanding in relation to the land; and
  • stating that if that amount is not paid in full within one month of service of the notice (or such longer time as the council may allow) the council intends to sell the land for non-payment of rates.

Council will also send a copy of the notice to any owner of the land and to any registered mortgagee of the land.

If the outstanding amount is not paid in full within the agreed time, Council may proceed to sell the land by public auction.  If before the date of the auction the outstanding amount and the costs incurred by the Council are paid, the auction will be called off.  If however, payment is not made and if the auction fails Council may sell the land by private contract for the best price.

The full sale process is undertaken according to Section 184 of the Local Government Act 1999.

All land within the area of Council is rateable, however there are some exclusions as stated in section 147 of the Local Government Act 1999.

The Local Government Act provides for a Council to raise revenue for the broad purposes of the Council through a general rate, which applies to all rateable properties, or through differential general rates, which apply to classes of properties. The Council also raises revenue through fees and charges.

The Council adopted at its meeting held 15 July 2019:

  • Site Valuations of the Valuer-General for rating purposes totalling $1,142,616,500
  • Differential general rates:
    • 0.7668 cents in the dollar on all other rateable land in the area
    • Imposed a fixed charge of $445 on each separate piece of rateable land excluding Marina Berths
  • City of Port Lincoln Waste Service Charge $263.70 and Recycling Annual Service Charge $53.40.
  • Councils are required to collect the Natural Resources Management Levy under the NRM Act, which differentiates according to land use:
    • $77.45 fixed charge per assessment for Residential, Other and Vacant Land
    • $116.15 fixed charge per assessment for Commercial - Shop, Office and Other
    • $116.15 fixed charge per assessment for Industrial Land - Light and Other
    • $154.90 fixed charge per assessment for Primary Producers

The implementation of the Natural Resources Management (NRM) Act has proven to be one of South Australia's most important steps in integrating the management of the State's natural resources and securing their long term future.

The integration of catchment water management, soil conservation and animal and plant control boards along with the interim natural resources management group, ensures that all members of the community have a role to play in NRM.

The Eyre Peninsula NRM Board members and staff work with their local communities to develop, budget for, and co-ordinate regional NRM plans and activities.

The formation of the NRM Boards allows a holistic, truly integrated approach to natural resources and gives a comprehensive management approach - a significant initiative.

Local Government plays a crucial role in this process by collecting a regional Natural Resources Management (NRM) Levy on all rateable properties on behalf of EP NRM Board.

The Levy helps fund vital NRM projects and is the name for contributions South Australians ratepayers have been making for many years through their Catchment Water Management levies and/or Animal and Plant Control rate revenue contributions from local government.

Locally, your NRM Levy will be used to assist in the development and implementation of water management plans to address water quality and water sustainability, wetland monitoring programs, National research projects, regional pest risk assessments, pest control such as foxes and rabbits and land management such as catchment and rehabilitation projects.

For more information about the wide range of NRM projects occurring in this region which the Levy helps fund, please contact the EP NRM Board on (08) 8688 3111 or visit

Council uses the site value as the basis for valuing land within the Council area. Council considers the site value method of valuing land provides the fairest method of distributing the rate burden across all ratepayers on the following basis:

  • The fairness principle of taxation which suggests that individuals should make similar contributions to the cost of providing local government services as they in turn receive similar benefits, in terms of ability to make use of those services provided;
  • The efficiency principle, which generally assumes that large variations in the value of property from one year to another are less likely under the site valuation method.

The land valuation is set by the Valuer General.  If you are dissatisfied with a valuation made you must provide in writing to the Valuer General the full and detailed grounds on which the objection is based.

The objection must be made within 60 days after the date of service of the notice of the valuation to which the objection relates, unless the Valuer General allows an extension of time based on reasonable cause to do so by a person entitled to make an objection to a valuation.

Objections can be made online, posted or delivered to:

Online: and enter in “Objection to a Valuation” in the search field.

By post:

Officer of the Valuer General
GPO Box 1354

In person:

101 Grenfell Street, 

Please note:

  • If you have previously received a notice or notices under the Local Government Act 1999 referring to the valuation and informing you of a 60 day objection period, the objection period is 60 days after service of the first such notice;
  • You may not object to the valuation if the Valuer General has already considered an objection by you to that valuation for the current financial year.

Differential rates (and or charges) imposed by rates (and or charges) associated with the valuation are still due and payable by the due date even in an objection has been lodged.

If the valuer thinks that the valuation should be altered, the valuation will be altered in accordance with his/or her opinion.  The Valuer General will then notify you in writing of their decision.  Council will also be notified of any changes.

If you are still dissatisfied with the valuation, you can ask for a further review. Please refer to the Objecting to a property valuation webpage provided at: on how to request a review.

If you require further information or clarification about making an objection you can contact the Officer of the Valuer General by:

Phone: 1300 653 346; or


Fax: 08 8226 1428

The separate rate declared by the Council is based on various Land Use Categories.

If you believe that the Land Use Category applied to your property is incorrect, you may lodge a written objection with Council detailing the grounds on which the objection is based.

The objection must be made to Council within 60 days after the date of service of the notice.  The Council may, in its discretion, allow an extension of time based on reasonable cause to do so by a person entitled to make an objection to land use.

Objections can be made by:


By post:

City of Port Lincoln
PO Box 1787

In person:

Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace, 

Rates are still due and payable by the due date even if an objection has been lodged.

If you are dissatisfied with Council’s decision on an objection, you may, seek a review of the decision under section 34 of the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2013 within 21 days after you have received the notice of Council’s decision (unless SATAC, in its discretion, allows an extension of time for making the application).

If you own and occupy two or more pieces of contiguous rateable land, only one fixed charge may be imposed against the whole of that land pursuant to Section 152 of the Local Government Act 1999.

If you own two or more pieces of rateable land within the council area that constitutes a single farm enterprise, then you can apply to have one fixed charge imposed against the whole of the land.

If circumstances change or cease to exist, the person who has the benefit of the provision must inform the Council.

To request for one fixed charge to be applied to your property you will need to complete the Adjoining Property Application Form 7-69-T29 and submit to Council either by:


Post to:

City of Port Lincoln
PO Box 1787

In person:

Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace

Should at anytime the ownership or occupation of the properties change, you will need to notify Council immediately, resulting in the fixed charge being reinstated and charged accordingly.

A person or body may apply to the Council for a rebate of rates on eligible land.

Section 160 to 166 of the Local Government Act 1999 makes specific provisions for land used for health services, community services, religious purposes, public cemeteries, Royal Zoological Society of SA and educational purposes.

Council has also determined that it is desirable to grant a rebate of rates or service charges for the purpose of encouraging and securing appropriate quality development in the City relating to:

  • New Development in excess of $1,000,000 (not including land); and
  • Land Division and Strata/Community Title Developments.

Please refer to our Rates Concession Scheme for Developments 7.63.8 Policy for more information.

To apply for a rebate of rates you are required to complete the Rate Rebate Application Form 7-69-T31 and provide all the supporting information asked for on the application form to Council either by:


By post:

Rates Officer
City of Port Lincoln
PO Box 1787

In person:

Level One, Civic Centre, 60 Tasman Terrace,

If the grounds on which the rebate has been granted cease to exist, the person or body must notify Council of the fact and that the entitlement to a rebate ceases.

Where an entitlement to a rebate of rates ceases or no longer applies during the course of a financial year, the Council is entitled to recover rates, or rates at the increased level (as the case may be), proportionate to the remaining part of the financial year.

If you have any questions or require further information on the rebate of rates, please phone the Council Office on 8621 2300 or email our Senior Rates Office at

The Cost of Living Concession is available to assist those on low or fixed incomes with the cost of living expenses such as electricity, water, gas or medical bills. These payments may be used for any purpose, including offsetting Council rates.

You can apply to Concessions SA at any time, however applications must be submitted by 31 October to receive the concession for that financial year.  

To check your eligibility and to apply visit

For more information you can contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758, Email: or visit:

A text telephone service is available for the hearing impaired by contacting TTY (08) 8226 6789.

To find out more on what Concessions, Benefits and Grants are available to you visit provided by the Department of Human Services.

Related information

Valuation of Land Act 1971

Strategic Management Plans

Annual Report

Need more information

If you have any questions regarding to rates, please contact:

City of Port Lincoln
Senior Rates Officer 
9.00am – 5.00pm, Tuesday to Thursday
Phone: 8621 2300