Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert

To keep informed of the current COVID-19 restrictions go to the trusted COVID-19 information for South Australians at and for the latest health alert news at

For the latest updates on Council Services in response to COVID-19 click here.

Dismiss alert

Everything Cats

As a cat owner you are responsible to ensure your cat is well looked after and does not cause a nuisance to your neighbours.

Cat owners are required after new cat laws were introduced from 1 July 2018 to have their cats’ microchipped and any new cats born after 1 July 2018 are to be microchipped and desexed.

Council does not have a By-law for cat ownership however:

  • Cats are required to be microchipped with the details recorded on the state database
  • It is best to identify your cat with a cat collar containing current contact details on it, as this may save your cats life and avoid it being kept by a member of the public or mistaken as a stray cat.
  • All cats born after 1 July 2018 are required to be desexed under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.
  • To reduce unwanted litters in cats born prior to 1 July 2018 it is worth considering desexing, as this may also assist with the longevity of your cat and reduce the risk of getting some cancers.
  • Keep your cat inside at night to reduce the incidence of transmissible and incurable diseases, cat fights, road accidents and killing of local wildlife.
  • Confining your cat to your own property protects wildlife and avoids neighbourly disputes.  Consider building a cat run or enclosure to contain your cat.

If you have a nuisance cat and you know who the cat belongs to we encourage you to approach the cat’s owner in a friendly manner and explain what impact their cat is having on your property and/or environment.  You can also contact Council’s Community Liaison Officers and they can support you by providing advice and information on how you might approach this with your neighbour.

If you have problems with stray cats Council does offer cat traps for hire.

A person may humanely trap a cat on their property that they reside in.

Council hires out cat traps for the capture of stray cats.

A cat trap can be hired from the Council Administration Office for a refundable deposit plus a weekly hire fee as per Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule.  Concession card holders will receive a 50% discount on the weekly hire of the trap on presentation of their concession card.

Cat traps can be hired for one week at a time. If the cat trap is not returned after the agreed time a late fee per week will be charged.

How do I go about getting a cat trap?

Residents can come into the Council Administration Office and request a cat trap anytime during business hours and will be required to complete a Cat Trap Hire Application form and pay the refundable deposit and weekly fee.

Council’s Community Liaison Officer will arrange to have the cat trap delivered to your property and run though how to use and set the cat trap.  Or you can choose to take the cat trap home with you if a Community Liaison Officer is available at the time to show you how to use and set the cat trap.

Traps can only be collected by Council officers between the hours of 9am to 11am Monday to Friday unless other arrangements have been made.

If an unidentified cat has been caught in the cage, you must within 12 hours notify Council’s Community Liaison Officer to arrange collection.  The cat will then be taken to the local Veterinary Clinic, where a decision will be made as to whether to offer the cat to the RSPCA for rehoming or euthanase it humanely.

If a domestic cat is caught in the cat trap, it must be released straight away as required under the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995.

Traps are not to be set for the capture of animals on weekends or public holidays.  Any cats trapped during these times must be released.

Trapped cats must not be kept in a cat trap in inclement weather conditions, for any period of time without water and shelter from the weather.  To do so constitutes an offence of animal cruelty under the Animal Welfare Act 1985.

For any reports of animal cruelty please contact the RSPCA on 1300 477 722.

What if I want to extend the use of the cat trap?

An extension of time can be arranged by contacting the Council Office prior to the end of the initial hire period.  However if someone else has booked the use of a cat trap the cat trap must be returned.

On return of a cat trap you will be refunded your deposit.  If however, you are unable to return the cat trap yourself you can arrange to have one of our Community Liaison Officer’s to collect, however to get your refundable deposit you must come into the Council Administration Office.

To learn more about being a responsible cat owner visit Good Cat SA.

On the 1 July 2018 changes to the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 requires breeders of cats to be registered with the Dog and Cat Management Board.

To register as a Breeder visit  If you already have a registered dog or cat in the Council area you can select 'I have a Login', select 'Breeder Registration' and complete the online breeder registration and pay the breeder registration fee.  Upon payment a Breeder Registration Number will be issued.

If you do not own a dog or cat in the Council area you will need to select 'Register as a new owner', complete the online registration, including the breeder registration questions and pay the registration fees.  You will need to create a password within 48 hours via the link that will be sent to your email.

Breeders are to renew their registration annually with registrations expiring 30 June each year.

Breeders and sellers must adhere to the new South Australian Standards and Guidelines for Breeding and Trading Companion Animals.

These animal welfare rules apply across the board; to professional breeders, people whose dog or cat has an unwanted litter that they intend to sell or exchange, pet shops and anyone selling or trading a companion animal.

All cat breeders and sellers must display their contact details and registration number on all advertisements for the sale of cats and provide this registration number to all buyers.

To find out more about Breeding and Selling cats visit or

Related information

City of Port Lincoln Animal Management Plan

Need more information

If you have any questions or concerns regarding cats, please contact:

City of Port Lincoln
Environment & Regulatory Services Team
9.00am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
Phone: 8621 2300